With the average high temperatures this time of year in California in the low to mid 70’s it’s the perfect time of year to get outside and enjoy some of our area’s wonderful bike trails. Cycling is a fun, low impact way to exercise and provides many benefits from a healthy living standpoint. Electric Bikes make exercise easy and enjoyable. 81% of owners ride their bikes at least once a week and 30% say they ride every day. Let’s look at some of the common health benefits of cycling:
1. Cycling relieves stress, depression, anxiety, and tension. Studies have found that exercise releases endorphins, the body’s natural painkillers, into the bloodstream. Endorphins help reduce stress and tension in the brain, which has an impact on nerves throughout the body.
2. Cycling builds muscle. As you pedal, the downstroke works your buttocks, thighs and calves. The upstroke builds your hamstrings and hip muscles. Arms and shoulders are worked as you sit upright and steer with the handlebars. As you balance on the two wheels your abdominal and back muscles fire, working your core. Building strong core muscles helps with balance as you walk and climb stairs.
3. Cycling improves your flexibility and range of motion of joints. Sitting on a bike removes the weight from a person’s legs. As the muscles around the joints strengthen, the joint will become more stable. With flexibility and strength in the joints the reflexes are quicker and balance is improved. Cycling is a low-impact exercise which is considered joint-friendly.
4. Cycling builds bone mass in your legs and hips, even though it is low-impact. This comes from the resistance of pushing against the pedals as you climb inclines or hills. The more pull or pressure muscles put on the bone during resistive exercise, the more bone fiber is built.
5. Cycling is good for the heart, blood vessels, and the lungs. As cycling builds the heart muscles it reduces the chances of heart attack, stroke, and high blood pressure. Exercise has also been found to reduce blood fat and lower the resting heart rate. Taking deep breaths as you exercise expands the lungs, bringing more oxygen into the body, which allows for more efficient burning of fat and calories.
Electric Bike Cycling:
An electric bike (E-bike) is a bicycle with an electrical motor, which, when engaged, can assist the rider. Electric assisted bikes allow the rider to attempt more challenging terrain, such as challenging hills, snow, and sand. The motor allows for occasional breaks, which allows for longer biking distances. Some E-Bikes can move exclusively with the motor, but most require the rider to pedal, thereby providing the exercise that will help keep the rider healthily involved.
Twenty-three states, including California, Texas, and Florida, have adopted E-Bike regulations. Another seven states have regulation pending. These rulings define the maximum speed the bikes can reach, helmet usage requirements, minimum user age, and license requirements. To read an in-depth review of E-Bike nationwide see this article at electricbikereview.com.
Electric Bikes offer models from the top manufactures like Haibike and dependable motors from Bosch. We have E-bikes designed to fit every biking style, from off-road thrill seeker to those who want a bike to get around town. We even offer step-through bikes, perfect for those with mobility issues. Stop by one of our four showrooms to experience one of these bikes for yourself.
We have a few 2016 Models that we are discounting heavily to make room for newer models. Call (805-963-8885) to check availability.
About eBikes Electric Bikes: eBikes Electric Bikes is on the forefront of technology for electric motorized bicycles, and offers the best brands to meet the exact needs of each rider. eBikes Electric Bikes has electric bicycle shops in Santa Barbara, Malibu, Santa Monica and Corona Del Mar, where they sell and service electric mountain bikes, electric commuter bikes, and classic vintage bikes from a variety of electric bike manufacturers. If you are interested in Raleigh electric bicycle, a Haibike mountain bike, or a Bosch eBike, then this is the store for you. Follow on Facebook and Instagram for a variety of helpful electric bike tips, and unique ebike photos from satisfied customers.